Ice cream cake
This post is also available in Italiano
There are recipes that are so brilliant that they seem impossible. Do you remember the small pizzas ready-to-eat in 5 minutes? What about the Nutella muffins with only three ingredients? Well, today’s recipe is even more incredible: it is an ice cream cake, that is… a cake made with only two ingredients, flour and … ice cream!
I know you probably think I’m crazy, but the picture above should convince you; you can make a cake using only and only ice cream and flour, I swear!
Needless to say that this discovery opens the door to endless variations; you can make many different cakes just by changing the ice cream flavor!
Now, if this brilliant idea intrigues you, I will briefly explain what to do so that you can run to buy your favorite ice cream, and immediately experiment with the recipe.
Even before getting started, I would like to reassure you that I have tried this recipe several times and it always works, whether you use boxed ice cream from the supermarket, or if you prefer ice cream from your local ice cream shop. The first time, I used my favorite ice cream, chocolate Häagen-Dazs, then I even tried a striped version making half a dough with stracciatella ice cream, and a half with chocolate ice cream from the ice cream shop. In both cases, I made a great cake within a few minutes, with zero effort.
This is really a fool proof dessert. I do not think there is anyone so clumsy, as to not be able to mix the ice cream with the flour. Try it (particularly if you’re one of those people who do not feel that confident in the kitchen), and let me know how it goes!
The recipe comes from Stefania‘s blog, which in turn discovered it on Taste of Home.
Ice Cream Cake
- 500 g of cream-based ice-cream strictly no sorbets
- 180 g of self-rising flour or regular flour + 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of sugar optional
- Slightly soften the ice at room temperature, without melting it; in the meantime, preheat the oven to 180°C.
- With the electric mixer, or a spatula, mix the self-rising flour with the softened ice cream, adding a couple of tablespoons of sugar if the ice cream you used as a base is not sweet enough, then pour the mixture thus obtained in a mold covered with parchment paper, or in a disposable baking pan. With these doses you can make a large plumcake sized cake, or a dozen muffin sized.
- Transfer the mold with the dough in the preheated oven and bake for about 40 minutes.
This recipe is not very economical in terms of price, because the ice cream will certainly cost you more than buying the typical cake ingredients (butter, eggs, chocolate, etc.), but saving time and effort is guaranteed!
If you liked the recipe, I would like to ask you a huge favor, that is, your support for Labna in its most recent adventure, the final round of the Macchianera Food Awards. It is easy enough, just read this post , and follow the instructions!