Some time ago I experimented with a recipe for 5-minute mini handheld pizzas (which in Italian we call pizzette) made with Greek flour and yogurt. That recipe was a huge success, but it left all my vegan readers wondering if the mini pizzas could be adapted to their dietary needs. I experimented a bit, replacing the Greek yogurt with a few alternative options, until I found the one that I felt made the best vegan handheld mini pizzas, which I will share with you today.
I cannot recommend these 5-minute vegan handheld mini pizzas enough: they are amazing even if you are not vegan! They are now my family’s favorite last-minute snack, perfect for when hunger strikes and nothing yummy in the pantry or the fridge.
While I do love my original version of this recipe which featured Greek yogurt, too, I like having the option to use a different type of yogurt, especially soy, which is similar in protein content to dairy yogurt, but generally lower in sugar, as well as lactose-free (which is helpful to me in particular because my stomach gets upset if I allow myself too much lactose).
5-minute vegan handheld mini pizzas
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Mix yogurt, flour, and salt, and knead them well. You will get a dough that is a bit sticky but manageable if you dust your hands with flour.1 cup soy yogurt, 1 3/4 cup self-rising flour, 2 pinches salt, a little extra flour for the work surface and your hands
- On a sheet of parchment paper, spread the dough with your fingers into several thin disks, and add seasonings and toppings to your liking.seasonings and toppings of choice (tomato, basil, garlic, oregano...)
- Remember that you do not have to wait for the dough to rise because the dough contains baking powder instead of yeast, so it will rise as it cooks.
- Drizzle a few drops of extra-virgin olive oil on each mini pizza, and bake immediately in the preheated oven.1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Enjoy watching the mini pizzas rise and bake in the oven, and take them out when they are golden both on the top and on the bottom. Depending on the size it will take 10-15 minutes.
- The mini pizzas can be perfectly stored on a tray wrapped in foil for 4 or 5 days, and can be reheated several times in the oven or with a toaster.